A youth minister at church (and very dear friend Katrina) asked me to make a Rapunzel costume for an event going on at our parish. Well I only had a week’s notice and I wanted to work on a limited budget, so refashioning seemed like the way to go. Good thing I got lucky finding a dress at the Goodwill!! All I had to buy were some trims and purple fabric to spruce it up.
My friend Gabi and I agreed that it’s reminiscent of Cinderella’s first dress. You know, the one her sisters destroyed. One of my favorite parts of that movie was watching the mice sew. Maybe that’s why she’s my favorite princess. Anyway, we’re here to talk about Rapunzel.
I wasn’t striving to make it exactly like Disney’s version, ’cause I don’t like to stress myself out, so I went for more of a resemblance. Hopefully as long as the colors and cut are similar, people won’t mind.
Then I went on to sew some trim onto the purple fabric for some extra pizazz. I was NOT about to try to hand embroider the floral design on the Disney version. Or pay the money for a trim that intricate.